LAS Bulk Storage provides low-cost shared storage. In order to keep costs low, storage is provided on low-cost 7200 rpm hard disks. Users who need fast data transfer, redundant hardware RAID controllers, or other very high availability features might consider other solutions. The system consists of two units one here in Urbana and one in Springfield both run Microsoft Windows. Users can buy storage on either or both units, in the latter case your data will automatically be synced from the Urbana unit to the Springfield unit at 1am every night.
Service Options and Costs
Cost is $100/TB per storage unit. Payment can be made as a one-time payment, or over two years (two payments).
- $100/TB - Urbana-based data store
- $100/TB - Springfield-based data store
- $200/TB - Urbana-based data store with nightly sync to Springfield data store
If you buy storage in both Urbana and Springfield, your Urbana data store will be automatically synced to your Springfield data store. The Springfield data store must be configured to read only. Enabling this option will provide you with data protection against disk failure.
How to Connect
Connections from off-campus require use of the campus VPN service. Customers normally connect to the service via SMB (Windows file sharing). This is the default option and connections can be accomplished from:
We also provide Linux based storage option which is available from the LAS HPC Cluster, in this case access to your files can be accomplished using:
- ssh protocol (Linux or Mac)
If you need this option, please indicate this in your request.
Please provide the UIUC netid for each person who should have access to the storage space. If you are using the default Windows share option, you can provide an AD group; in this case access can be delegated to your own IT staff upon request.
- Unplanned system outages due to issues with other aspects of the facility such as power, HVAC, network, or emergency maintenance to address computer security incidents may restrict access to the service.
- Unplanned system outages due to hardware failure may in rare cases result in downtime of several days, because redundant systems are not present to keep the costs as low as possible.
- There will be a monthly preventative maintenance required that will take the service down on the Saturday following Microsoft Patch Tuesday which is the second Tuesday of the month. That Saturday will be either the second or third Saturday of each month, from 5am-7am.
Customers agree to comply with all University of Illinois policies and procedures. Namely, that they recognize the Policy on Appropriate Use of Computers and Network Systems at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and the Information Security Policy.
How to Request Space and Get Support
Requests and support are available during normal business hours (8am-5pm M-F). Send email to email@example.com. We normally respond in 2 business days or sooner.
In your email please include answers to the following questions:
- How much storage?
- Urbana, Springfield, or both?
- UID's of people who need access, or an AD group which contains those UID’s
- Preferred name of the share, normally we use your UID
- Payment plan, onetime, or it can be split over two payments
- Departmental CFOP
If you need the Linux based storage option, please indicate so.
Agreements automatically renew until terminated by the customer or ATLAS by providing written notification to the other party thirty (30) days in advance of termination. In the event of termination, the data will be removed (deleted) from the rented storage resources.